Thursday :: October 18 :: John 4
Here's one of my favorite moments in Jesus' ministry. I preached about it last Sunday. Why am I attracted to this story? I'm not sure. I think it's because I see Jesus love a sinner in such a way that they are drawn to Him. Do I do that? Can someone who is away from Christ be with me and since my love, my passion for them to be restored into God's Kingdom? Jesus has this great ability to speak the truth (which can hurt) but He pours on so much love and compassion that people are drawn to His words and are excited to be freed from their bondage!
A couple of observations:
1) this was a woman who had a limited understanding of God. She speaks about the Messiah and the proper way to worship - she knew right from wrong but was allowing sin to waste her life away. She was hungry for more than she currently understood. She was OPEN to God's love.
2) She was well connected with others like her. In v.28 she leaves her water and goes to town to tell her friends about Jesus. In v.39 we see that many believe in Jesus because of her testimony. She didn't keep this truth to herself - she wanted others to know it too. She loved others enough to tell them.
3) Her ministry was appreciated. You know, these people didn't trample over her anymore. They told her (v.42) that they were intrigued by what she said, but now believe because of what they have seen with their own eyes. Her integrity was restored - she was a member of society again!
Something I just noticed in the story of Jesus healing the "official's" son is that Jesus tells the official to leave because the healing has taken place but the father doesn't know the outcome for another day. 52: "When he inquired as to the time when his son got better, they said to him, "The fever left him yesterday at the seventh hour." Then the father realized that this was the exact time ast which Jesus had said to him, "Your son will live." We are so hungry for INSTANT gratification that we miss what the opportunity for what God is already at work doing. The father left (taking Jesus at his word) but didn't know until he inquired about the timing.
One last thing about this miracle. I've often thought that healing is a direct result of our faith. In other words, if we have enough faith - we can see the healing. Well in the story, the faith of the official comes AFTER the miracle. In v.53, it says "So he and his household believed." Did the miracle occur to give the man faith? Likely. But that flies in the face of my traditional understanding of God's healing touch. His miracles all have purpose - but it's likely not the purpose that we have in mind when we pray for them. Does that make sense? Something to ponder ....
Thursday, October 18, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment