I've allowed myself to get behind in my Bible reading in '08. Only 7 days ... but that can be tough to make up. So today, Feb 25 I've decided:
1) start running again [check] - ran 3.0 this morning
2) read the bible before doing anything else significant [check] here we go -
Feb18:
As I start this section of the Laws of Moses (given to him by God), I'm reminded of a great podcast I heard from Pastor Greg Laurie on the Ten Commandments ... he had a great series of messages on this area. I'm noticing right away that this section of the Chronological Bible is unigue to any other type of Bible - we are really splattering our way through several books of the OT at once here.
Who is Molech? It appears that this is a name of a common god of the day ... potentially translated as Ba'al later in the OT. Either way, God was making a clear point that we should stay clear of any other God but Him - as the punishment for associating with Molech was death.
"You must purge the evil from among you." Deut. 17:7 -- this is something I think we should take very serious today. The evil in our radio, tv, internet, books, and such is all too accessible. As Andy Stanely said sarcastically in our small group DVD last night, "Don't deliver me from evil - I can find that perfectly fine all by myself."
"You are not to do as we do here today, everyone as he sees fit ..." Boy does this sound like our current age! Everyone is doing was seems to fit themselves - their agenda, their finances, their kingdoms ... hmmm
Feb19:
The Lord sees our heart more than our physical exterior. True. Yet I just read "The Lord your God is testing you to find out whether you love him with all your heart and with all your soul." Wouldn't He know that already? Yes - but do we? Sometimes, I believe difficult times happen for us to be reminded of our previous commitment to the Lord and our love for Him. Who do you lean on during difficult times?
False prophets are to be put to death (Deut18:20-22). How can we tell? If what they say doesn't happen, they are not from God. Sounds great - but I've been wrong about things to0 many times for this not to give me concern. How much confidence do I have about what the Lord is sharing with me heart? Enough to place my life on it? Hmmmm ....
Sabath: there is something about this concept that the world is missing. Our bodies were made for this. We need our rest and when we don't get it, the wheels of life seem to fall off. They don't really but they appear to fall of because our perception is all wacked out! What does Sabbath look like - there is no one model in my opinion but we must intentionally look at our schedules and life patterns to see if an adjustment is needed.
Feb20:
Let's party! One thing the Lord allowed the Jews to do well - have a party. There are feasts everytime you turn around! But these are parties with a pupose ... that has a ring to it, doesn't it! "partieswithapurpose.com" Anyway, I think the Christian church could learn from this pattern > let's remind ourselves of our need for the Lord, and let's celebrate what he had done for us!!
I like this term: "sacred assembly" Gives me the feeling of purpose and anticipation.
The Feast of Weeks (or Firstfruits) takes place 50 days after after Passover. Cool side note - the Holy Spirit fell on the disciples during this feast - 50 days after Christ had died - it was known at that time as "Pentecost."
-- I'm noticing more and more that associated with these "laws" it will often be said, "remember, you were slaves in Egypt ..." kind of like God reminding them of their place in this world. We need that reminder too. He is God - we are just dust in the wind (in many ways).
Additionally, the Israelites celebrate an annual Day of Atonement - celebrate is a stretch as this is a mandatory day of fasting. Today, it's known as Yom Kippur. I like that a day is set to consider our spiritual condition and our need for constant atonement - what better activity than fasting for this purpose?
Being the priest was a pretty gorey job - lot's of blood involved!
Feb 21:
I've noticed that offerings of the grain type, are not to include any form of yeast in them. I realize that yeast represented "sin" to the ancient cultures. But I've also just noticed that the Lord commanded the priests to add salt to all of their grain offerings. What is the significance of this? Jesus' words are echoing in my mind - to be the salt of the earth. Is there something to salt that I'm missing ... salt vs. sin / light vs. darkness.
Other than this - I'm not too inspired with all the offering language in the reading for this day ... sorry.
Feb 22:
I'm struck all of the sudden by God's great attention to detail. Life is amazing - how our bodies are made, how this world functions - it's all ridiculously cool to me. But even as God is laying out these offerings and feasts - he is a God of great detail! How cool is that?
Interesting note that the Lord acknowledges sin that is "un-intentional". In saying this however, He also says that we are guilty with sin that is unknown to us. But when we become aware, we must act on that - and present a sin offering. Is there no difference between a willful sin? Other than most sins listed to this point were punished by being cut off from the community or death by stoning ... hmmmm
Forgiven - a term that Christians use often ... I hadn't noticed that word being used with all of these feasts, and offerings until now - Leviticus 4:26. I may have missed it earlier but it struck me ... they will be forgiven.
Feb23:
Sins of Omission - not all sin involves things we have done - sometimes it's things we haven't done: taking care of the poor, visiting the sick or imprisoned, calling a friend to tell them about the Lord, picking up the stranger who is walking along the road (that's mine).
"You must not offer to the Lord an animal whose testicles are bruised crushed, torn or cut." There's that attention to detail again, Lord. Well done!!
Feb24:
The year of Sabbatical. This would be wonderful - work for 6 years and take a year off. My friend Jon Middendorf preached a great sermon that's available via podcast through his church - Oklahoma City First Church of the Nazarene - on this chapter. This lifestyle would require some planning and preparation. The 50th year gets' even better - the Year of Jubilee. The idea of getting your debt forgiven sounds great until you realize that you would have to also forgive the debt owed to you as well. Unfortuneatly, not even the Israelites kept this going for too long.
2.5 hours later ... I'm caught up.
Monday, February 25, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment