Got up to date on my Chronological reading again today. Watching the hand of God through dealing 10 plagues to Egypt was tough. I underlined where "Pharaoh hardened his heart" and where it says that "God hardened Pharaoh's heart." I find it interesting that this could go both ways but that God acted in this way.
Page 108 (Ex. 9:13-26) - "For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the earth. But I have raided you up for this purpose, that I might show you my power and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth."
God appears to have control over those who:
- don't fear him
- don't know him
- don't love him
- don't obey him
.... as much as he has influence and control over those of us who do. This is a strong arguement for "predestination." Predestination means that God establishes who will be in His Kingdom and (obviously) those who are not. This is a troubling doctrine for Weslyan doctrine people like me - however, as I read the scriptures, it appears that there is a sense of predestination - when God desires to show His power, His glory, His "ultimateness". There is also a clear call that Jesus came for ALL and that God desires that NO MAN should perish in hell. Can the truth about this be found in the middle? I hope so.
Friday, January 25, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment