Tuesday, January 8, 2008

The moral of this BLOG is "don't get behind!" Some great reading today ... Jan 6-8 of the Chronological Bible Reading Plan for 2008.

Gen 15: "Do not be afraid, Abram. I am your shield, your very great reward." This is a powerful statement from God. I need this, too.

The Covenant scene in chapter 15 is absolutely cool. The commentary in our Bible is absolutely right on with the description. It's one of my favorite scenes in this early narrative as God pledges to be with Abrahm and give him a mighty nation. I would love to have seen that smoldering pot and torch pass through that bloody ally - sealing the deal of God's faithfulness to the people who would become Israel.

It's interesting that Hagar (Sarai's maidservant) is from Egypt and that when she gets a wife for her son (Ishmael) she finds and Egyptian girl. (Gen 21.21).

Timeline ... circumcision makes it's debut ... enough said.

I found it really cool that God called a man named Abram. Abram was given a promise and even tried to fullfill that promise by adopting another son, and by having a son by his wife's maidservant. Honorable attempts but they fell short of God's perfect plan. Just before God's perfect plan is set into motion, God confirms his promise with Abram and then does something really cool ... he changes his name. He is made NEW! Now God can do His work in AbraHAMS life! Now Isaac can be conceived and raised ... God took the old man (Abram), and molded him into a new man (Abraham). God's timing is strange but perfect!

Did I like Sarah's sarcasm in chapter 18? You bet! I hear her saying "You wait 'til we can't have sex (because we are worn out) to give me a son ... perrrfect!" Then she denied even being the smart elic ... to which God said ... "Yes you were!" I loved this scene.

Insight into the Lot/Sodom scene that was fresh - the angels actually pulled Lot and his family from Sodom. Lot hesitates, and they grab his family's hands and run out of town pulling them the whole way! Sometimes we have choices ... other times we are getting yanked by our arms ... either way, God is providing for those he loves! Isn't that cool?!!

Blessings on your readings ... email me rather than post ... terry@high-pointe.org!

No comments: