Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Mar 1:
Could this reading day be any longer? Wow! Makes up for not having readings on Feb 29 this year.

I was drawn to God's generosity in this reading. I appreciate the fact that God acknowledges that "there will always be poor among you" but we are to treat them with generosity - not look down upon them. How does this impact my life in 2008? In huge ways! How am I meeting the needs of the poor around me? Am I living generously? Honestly, I can't imagine having the financial freedom to be able to meet needs because we live (as a society) so close to the edge of financial ruin ... know what I mean? This is challenging.

Anyone else appreciate that God commanded the widow to spit in her brother-in-law's face if he refused to marry her ... imagine that church function!

Mar2:
This reading was a stretch. I like the first year of marriage - "For one year he is to be free to stay at home and bring happiness to the wife he has married." New code word for sex = "bring happiness" Moses was not referring to doing the laundry, making the beds, fixing dinner ... bring happiness men!

There are some incredible run-on sentences here ... Deut. 24.1-4 is one example - wow!

I also noticed that God is dealing with these sins very sharply ... he says "you must purge the evil from Israel". Purging is a very difficult and painful process. I've got a couple of friends purging their bodies right now of medications and such - it's a horrible pain of dependency that must be broken. Is there sin/evil that must be purged. I'm going through such a time personally that I won't reveal but it's amazing how purging is beneficial to the good areas of your life! Don't be afraid of eliminating the temptations and evils found in your home in order to purge the act. Be strong and courageous!

Mar3:
I wonder why the priest had to examine those feared to have leprosy? Weren't they busy killing lambs and pigeons and such? I like what the composer says in his notes: "there is a close relationship between cleanliness and godliness." Interesting. I see this too as a way that God was trying to protect his nation from killing itself off with nasty/untreatable diseases that were now a part of his "sinful" creation.

I'm glad my title isn't "Associate Pastor of Infectious Disease Examination" ;)

No comments: