Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Monday's Reading: Matthew 13

This is a great (and very long) chapter. My eyes were drawn to the words, "To those who are open to my teaching, more understanding will be given, and they will have an abundance of knowledge" (v. 12 NLT). I like to learn - I like to listen to people who are smart talk about things that interest me. I'm not smart, nor interesting, but I like to learn from those who are.

Jesus promises that if we are open to Him, He will fill us with great knowledge about Him, His Kingdom and the last days (which much of chapter 13 deals with). In our world, I'm very intimidated about how things are going (from a faith stand point). In religious circles, Christ is being deluted to a tasteless treat. Even to Christians, what we hold to be absolute is under so much scrutany and fire.

We must stand on the foundations of God's Word and Christ. In Rob Bell's book, "Velvet Elvis", he mentions how things (theologicial things) should be more like springs on a trampoline than bricks on a wall. I agree that many things the church has cemented into our lives could go (because they have a weak Biblical argument) but without a foundation (or better put - something to anchor into) the springs on the tramp would be useless. That metal frame holding the tramp together is the foundation we must all agree on - the knowledge of the ONE WAY to God and His Kingdom.

Fill this dumb vessel with your knowledge today, Lord Jesus. Help me stand upon your Word!

No comments: