Friday, April 20, 2007

Thursday's Reading: Matthew 11

Do you ever complain? I sure do. I complain to myself alot - mainly because I'm not sure anyone would want to listen to me anyway. Today's reading features a great man: John the Baptist. Jesus said he was the greatest of all men. He is barely 30 years old and in prison for speaking the truth about sin. I'm sure he's wondering, "what did I do to deserve this, God?" He believes that his cousin, Jesus, is the Messiah but why hasn't he come to set this wrong right?

As Jesus is talking about how great John is, he pauses to comment about everyone else. "How shall I describe this generation? These people are like a group of children playing a game in the public square. They complain ..." and he went on about how they complain that John was demon possessed since he didn't act like them and how He (Jesus) is a glutton since he drinks and feasts. Nobody is happy - everyone is finding fault - everyone is complaining.

Does this sound like our generation to you? It sounds like me many days to be honest.

It comes to a head in Jesus' prayer: "O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, thank you for hiding the truth from those who think themselves so wise and clever, and for revealing it to the childlike."

Lord, help me! Help us!

No comments: