Monday's Reading: Matthew 18
Greatness. When I grew up, I wanted to be great. A great baseball player. A great basketball player. I shouldn't even say this, but, I've even wanted to be a great pastor. Desiring to be great seems to be a human trait - something placed deep within us. The question is: Is that desire righteous or sinful?
I have a feeling that it is sinful. Look at Jesus' words today to his disciples. They are asking about greatness, their ranking in Heaven, their future glory. His response is one that really "in their face." Children (as I understand it) in their culture, were not considered much. They were a blessing to have them of course, but as a member of society, they were not given any attention. So when Jesus say, "you must become like a child" he is going against their cultural norm.
Here are some traits about children off of the top of my head:
- don't think ahead much (live for the moment)
- rely on others for their basic needs to be met
- don't hold back tears when they feel like crying
- don't hide any emotions (the good and the bad)
- they love to play
- they make friends quickly (go to McDonalds playplace and see what I mean)
- they stare at things they don't understand
- they tell you when your breath stinks
- they respond to hugs and affection
- they crave hugs and affection
- they don't like to disappoint others
- they love their birthdays
- their imagination seems realistic
- they crave justice and fairness (at least when they are the side of injustice or unfairness)
- they couldn't make it without their parent(s)
In most of these areas, we as adults are quite the opposite from children. This makes me think I have some work to do to become more like them. Hmmmm ....
Jesus has a way of tearing apart what we think we know and understand. He cuts to the bone of our existence. In many ways, we need to like fish - who are always swimming against the flow. What seems right to us might seem different when viewed under the microscope of Jesus' love.
Look in this chapter for more on: tempting others to sin, how God feels about the lost, how to handle those who *sin against you, forgiveness (both from God to us, and our forgiveness to others).
Most troubling verse: If two of you agree down here on earth concerning anything you ask, my Father in heaven will do it for you. (19)
Monday, April 30, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment