Tuesday's Reading: Matthew 19
Wow. Another chapter where Jesus had to confront our selfishness. We start off talking about divorce and remarriage. My family has not escaped the pain caused by divorce. It's rough - really rough. I can seriously count on one hand the number of people who are better off for divorcing - it's a tough, tough road. With that said, I'm looking at Jesus' words here and think, our marriages are worth saving at any cost! Lord help us!
Now the "rich ruler" comes along and askes Jesus about eternal life. Jesus responds with "obey the commandments." Then he prods further, "what else must I do?" This question makes me think this guy is spiritually thirsty and hungry for more. I love that! Sometimes I feel like we ask God for just "what little must I do" like living with Jesus is a burden, but this guy wants more! Right? Jesus responds to that question by saying, "if you want to be perfect, go and sell everything and give it away." Can you imagine selling all that you had and giving it away. Can you imagine the impact that would have on the generations that follow you. We put alot into our financial situations (especially in America) - I'm not saying that is right - but we can surely identify with the dilemna this guy is facing. To me, it boils down to this: whose kingdom are we living for? The words of Jesus echo in my mind about the lillies of the field and the birds of the air. There's such freedom in living that way.
Unfortunately, we live like the disciples when they said in verse 27: "What will get out of it?" Today we'd say, "what's in it for us?" Nothing. Nothing is to be gained on this Earth. But there is a day coming - the longest of days - a day that will never end in fact - when it will be worth it all!
Until then ...
Tuesday, May 1, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment