Friday, September 14, 2007

Friday :: Sept 14 :: 1 Timothy 5

As I read vv3-4 my mind flashed by the Railside nursing home that I pass on my way to work every day. They are sponsoring an ice cream social for the community soon and I thought: isn't that sad that they have to feed us ice cream to even think about coming in their doors. I hate nursing homes. I hate their smell and they depress me. But I'm reading that "God is very pleased by this" in reference to taking care of the widows (and I'm made to think of the elderly too). Hmmm ...

Paul is putting much of the responsibility on taking care of this need (supporting widows) on the families and individuals ... the church is there for those who are absolutely without anyone! Interesting ... today's culture seems to make the church the FIRST stop for issues like this.

I LOVE V17: "Elders who do their work well should be paid well, especially thouse who work hard at both preaching and teaching." AMEN! haha

Timothy must have had many belly aches ... Paul's telling him to drink up (23) ... maybe I should take that advice ... hmmmmm

Good stuff Paul. (the apostle Paul I mean)

No comments: