Monday :: Sept 10 :: 1 Timothy 1
Good day: woke up early to work out at BCHS, spent the day with Tammy, watched the Bengals sneak one away from the Ravens, and my fantasy team won it's first (and potentially only) game of the year. But the best moment of the day was reading Genesis 1 with Corbin at bedtime and responding to his question: "How do we know God did all of that since we don't have proof? How do we even know God is real?" It was a glimpse into his spiritual soul tonight. I had him read Hebrews 11:1 and share with him about FAITH. It was a great start. Thanks for that, Jesus!
Now to Pauls words to his young apprentice, Tim.
Right out of the gate, Paul let's Tim know how he feels about him ... "my true child in the faith." He also tells him what he needs to sustain his ministry ... "grace, mercy and peace." This past Sunday was a day I don't feel I exhibited much of any of those (at least on the inside). Paul says that these are gifts from God ... I need to start unwrapping them.
What is the answer for arguements within the church? "... that all the Christians would be filled with love that comes from a PURE HEART, A CLEAR CONSCIENCE, and SINCERE FAITH."
Are you a sinner? During commercials tonight, I flipped through the channels and Ch 8 was airing an old (and I mean old) broadcast of a Billy Graham crusade. He asked that same question. Paul admits in v16 that he was the worst of all sinners. If we ask people today, "are you a sinner?" most would be affended. But that's really where the cross works best ... when we realize that we are sinners ... even after conversion ... reminding ourselves that we are sinners. Billy Graham (a prophet of our age) responded with his own question by saying "I am. I am a sinner - saved by God's grace." When we remind ourselves that we are nothing but sinners - saved only by God - then the focus is off of us and back on the power of Christ ... right where it should be!
What does it mean to "turn them over to Satan"? I'm guessing here that Paul is referring to two men in the church who were saying one thing, but living totally different lives. In order for Paul to reveal this, he had to "kick them out of the church" or "turn them over to Satan" with the hope that they would return to their faith ... living with clear consciences and full of integrity. Otherwise, they would continue to blaspheme God ... something Paul was not interested in letting happen.
Should we deal that harshly with leaders in our church? Hmmm ...
Monday, September 10, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment