Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Wednesday // Sept 5 :: 2 Corinthians 11

Ran 3 miles last night ... slept like a baby - it's like running zaps me of all energy for a while. I had a great chat with Jeff and Brennan while running (while I stopped to chat with them). I'm not sure about their faith position ...

V3 - Is a "pure and simple devotion to Christ" not enough? Paul's worried about people who believe everything they hear without screening that against the truth they've already been given. How true this is for us today ... we are like wind, being blown around by every new thought and trend that seems right - even though it could be completely wrong. We need to be committed to filtering everything against God's Word and against His Spirit's leading!

How much do I like v.6: "I may not be a trained speaker, but I know what I am talking about."

If Paul were alive today, the 21-century prophet would be a "rock star" - he'd have security guards, travel in an entourage, private jet and all. That's what most highly influential people are like today, right? Reading this list of things that Paul endured is amazing. To imagine how many times he should have died is scary ... but he survived them all - the shipwrecks, the beatings, stonings and cold nights. Believers today are so weak in their faith - me included - that we would have quit long ago if following Jesus looked like this. Paul's faith only got stronger. In the end, what does he boast about? The hundreds of churches he started? The thousands he's led to faith in Jesus? The numbers of babies he's baptized or dedicated? Nope - how many times he's cheated death in the name of Jesus. Wow!

2 comments:

mike v said...

Just wanted to stop by and say hello. Looks like you could use a few friends here. Since you've been so careless as to tell me about this blog, my intention is to be a constant thorn in your side.....just kidding. Great post. Talk to you soon brother.

Pastor Terry said...

My thorn in the flesh, huh?

Ha-ha. thanks Mike!