Friday, September 14, 2007

Thursday :: Sept 13 :: 1 Timothy 4

Okay ... I got a day behind ...

"last days" - that phrase has always intrigued me. When are the last days? Will we know? How? The disciples thought they were in the last days? Were they deceived? or just dumb?

"turn away" - this is tough. In our culture, there are significant numbers of people following some pretty strange teachings on Christian lifestyle. Makes me wonder about this "last days" stuff. If you've read "Velvet Elvis" or "Blue Like Jazz" you might know what I mean by this.

I love this: "Spend your time and energy in training yourself for spiritual fitness. Physical exercise has some value, but spiritual exercise is much more important, for it promises a reward in both this life and the next." I used to use this as my excuse to NOT exercise. The problem was that I wasn't exercising in spiritual ways at that point. Both areas have improved over the years.
> I now run regularly and even in the gym by 6 AM lifting and running 3 days a week
> I now read the Word faithfully (several different ways) and I'm following God's lead better in my life.

This chapter (and entire letter) is just a great father to son type of letter. I love the language and the heritage that is being given by Paul to a young Timothy (who is just starting out in ministry). It's great advice for all believers - but it seems to hit me well.

No comments: