Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Wednesday : November 15 : 1 Thessalonians 2
v. 4: "Our purpose is to please God, not people" -- this makes life challenging in the ministry at times. I've witnessed it from a distance more than personally (thank goodness) but I know my day is coming. This statement is a great foundation of life.

Heres a phrase that I was tripping up on in another letter that Paul wrote: "and urged you to live your lives in a way that God would consider worthy." (12) Today, we like to say that no one is worthy (and there's truth to that, too) but Paul is making a case that we can live a live that God is proud of and, dare I say, drawn to. I want to be a spiritual giant. A man that others will come to with needs, worries and concerns. A person that people trust and admire because of my faith. I'm not sure this makes sense but I want to live a life that is considered worthy by God.

19-20 are true for most of us pastors. What give us joy (outside of our own families)? You - our congregations - those who have heard our words, and who are living them out. "You are our pride and joy!"

No comments: