August 19 (Ezekiel 19 - 22)
This reading is really quite depressing. It's just more lament toward the actions of Israel. Makes me wonder when they will wake up. Then we see the Elders of Israel approach Ezekiel and the Lord tells him to tell the Elders, "it's too late for you ... I won't listen until I bring you back to Jeruselm."
As my study of "covenant" continues, I see tons of that type of language written throughout these passages, as well.
"I raise my hand to you."
"I strike my hands together"
"The Sabbaths were a sign between us"
"I will bring you into the bond of the covenant"
Wierd question: in Ez.21 the King of Babylon will do several things to figure out what decision to make in the fork in the road set before him. One of the ways is to "examine the liver." Seriously! How would you do that?? Strange.
I found this profound: among the many things that the priest were doing to defile the Lord, one of the things was teaching that "there was no difference between what is clean and what is unclean." I find this profound in the age that we live in. Today's postmodern society and "emergent ministry" models seem to be bringing what is holy and what is "permissible" together. I believe that we (as pastors) must stand on what is righteous and what is holy. We need to encourage and challenge our people to live as close to righteous living as they can!!
Thursday, October 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment