Today's reading: Aug. 9 (2 Kings 24, Jeremiah 48) ...
This verse stands out to me ... "Since you trust in your deeds and riches, you too will be taken captive." I wonder, what do you trust in? Good works? Bank accounts? Most of us would say that we are "good people" and in that God should back off on his judgement of us ... many of us too probably feel like their need for God isn't really strong since they can "take care of themselves" according to their investments and savings.
I think the news to ponder here is that we can see all of that kind of security taken from us with no justice provided. Wealth is a paper thin layer of security (one that I don't have). True security - the kind we should put our trust in - comes from the Lord on High! I need to trust the Lord more with my ...
... children
... marriage
... occupation
... daily provisions
... my relationships
There are several pages detailing the wrath that the Lord is going to bring on Moab as a nation. I can't help but see some striking parallels betweeen how He describes Moab to America (that's just for me - I'm not saying this is a curse against America ...). Then, at the end of this amazing amount of wrath and pain, the Lord declares ... "Yet I will restore the fortunes of Moab in days to come." Strange ... why restore a nation like this? The answer ... is because our God is a God of 2nd chances ... 3rd chances ... 300th chances ... isn't our God Amazing!!??!! This nation deserved nothing, but after God get's their attention ... He's going to give them another chance to get it right. I love that about our God!
August 10 ... (2 Kings 24, Jeremiah 22, 2 Chronicals 36)
It's interesting that during the largest deportation of Jerusalem, that the Babylonians took the fighting men, the artists, craftsman and such ... but they were happy to leave the poor behind. THere's nothing profound about it in my mind other than it was worth mentioning in the writers perspective of this process. As humans, it seems to be unilateral thing to devalue the poor as not needed ... even when taking prisoners of war to another land ...
The final King of Judah is established ... and God isn't done reaching out to this rebellious land. "The Lord ... sent word to them through his messengers again and again, because he had pity on his people and on his dwelling place. But they mocked God's messengers, despised his words and scoffed at his prophets ..."
Do we have messengers today? We have pastors like ants but I'm wondering if God is using a particular group (a small group) of people to be His divine messengers to our nation? If He did, are we listening? Are we open to the harsh words that a messenger of the Lord might bring us? Would we turn from our wicked ways? Would we stop defiling our homes with porn, inappropriate TV, irreligious music, foul mouths, abuse on our children, and the such? (I'm not laying a list of my own defilements here ... don't panic ... I'm just saying as a nation these are things I think that some issues that are getting swept under the rug and not discussed and dealth with).
Would we change? Who do we love more ... God? Self?
August 11 ... (Jeremiah 24, 29, 27, 28)
One of the greatest passages of scripture occurs in the reading today (Jeremiah 29:11) but I love reading this in context. So much pain has just occurred - so much judgement - I would imagine tons of confusion rests on the people of Judah ... and then the Lord comes to them while in exile and encourages their heart, lifts them up, gives them hope ...
"When 70 years are completed for Babylon, I will come to you and fulfill my gracious promise to bring you back to this place. For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you," declares the Lord, "and will bring you back from captivity."
That's good stuff!!
Friday, October 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment