Todays reading: Aug. 12 ... Jer. 23
This reading reminds me just how important it is as a pastor today to be humble and before the Lord at all times. As leaders in the church, we MUSt hear from God and follow His lead - often I feel like that step can be lost over following logic. This is one thing I appreciate about High Pointe ... a real sense of dependence from our Pastor from the Lord.
I think this reading speaks clearly that we can't be "soft" about sin with our flocks, either. "THey strengthen the hands of evildoers, so that no one turns from his wickedness" ... "But if they stood in my council, they would have proclaimed my words to my people and would have turned them from their evil ways and from their evil deeds." The key phrase in these verses stands out to me as "to turn" ... we need to hear the Word of God, see our sin, and turn from it. Stop being passive about it. Leave it. The result will be more of God through faithfull dependence on His presence.
Aug 13: Jer. 51:59, Jer.50
This reading is all about the pending destruction of Babylonia and the exiles returning back to Jerusalem (or where ever they came from). I'm wondering if it has been 70 years already .. I can't remember reading the valient stories of Daniel, Shad, Mesh, and Abend ... have we done that?
In the midst of all this talk of destruction, we read:
"Yet their Redeemer is strong; the Lord Almighty is his name." I like that verse!
Aug. 14 (finish Jer. 50, then 51)
This is the longest reading yet ... and it's all about God's pending judgement on Babylon. I guess the Lord is a long-winded preacher, too! Glancing ahead, I see that the destruction of Babylon is still some time off ... even though our recent readings make it seem very soon.
Monday, October 20, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment