Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Here you go Linda!

I'm home sick today so I figure I have my computer and I'm reading the Chronological Bible ... why not post?

I started today on Aug 4 reading ... Jeremiah 46:1
I've been struck by the job that Jeremiah was given. As a prophet, he has been speaking to a wall the entire time. No one is listening, no one is turning from their wickedness, and this phrase stands out "...and there is terror on every side." His burden was large.

As sure as the pending distruction is for Judah, God doesn't leave them without hope. Jer. 46:27 "I will surely save you out of a distant place ... I will discipline you but only with justice; I will not let you go entirely unpunished." God can't turn his back on our evil actions. And that's true for us today. We should be aware of the fact that God hates sin and we can't live in a way that ignores the sin in our life. Jeremiah was telling people that they needed to repent - when that didn't happen, then God said it's time to punish you (but only for justice sake).

Alright ... Aug 5 reading jumps to Habakkuk. This is why I really like the Chronological Reading ... the perspective I'm gaining in the timeline of Judah and Israel is great. The prophet Habakkuk asks a timely question: "how can a righteous and holy God use a wicked nation like Babylonia to bring punishment against God's own people, rebellious and sinful though they may be?" Honestly, the answer isn't clear, but I think this all shows that God is control of ALL things. We can debate forever if God controls evil (like hurricanes, sunami's, etc) but it appears that God has influence over even those who do not call on His name.

Here are a couple of phrases I underlined in this reading :
... in speaking about the Babalonians, God says this "... whose own strength is their god." Warning, our human strengt and influence means nothing!!
... in showing the difference between the righteous and those who are just "puffed up", God says, "... the righteous will live by His faith."
... this made me think of our current financial situation (in the world)
"Woe to him who builds his realm by unjust gain to set his nest on high, to escape the clutches of ruin! You have plotted the ruin of many peoples, shaming your own house and forfeiting your life."

Hababbuk's prayer in chapter 3 is sweet at the end ...
"... though the fig tree does not bud
... though the olive crop fails
... though there are no sheep in the pen
... yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will be joyful in God my Savior!
The Sovereign Lord is my strength; he makes my feet like the feet of a deer, he enables me to go on the heights."

My final thought from this mornings readings is one of slight confusion. God several times says "my servant Nebuchadnezzar" then "I'm raising the Babylonians" and such ... if God is involved in their uprising, I'm entrigued why God says he will punish them "for their guilt" (Jer. 25.12-ish). Don't get me wrong, these were some nasty people and they were ruthless to everyone around them ... but in some ways, so was Israel. Just thinking ...

No comments: