Thursday, November 20, 2008

September 10 Reading (Job 8-10)
Today it's friend #2's chance at Job ... Bildad weighs his thoughts. Right away, Bildad's words cut like a knife at Job. My interpretation ... "Dude, your kids were sinful brats and they got what they deserved. Now get up, humble yourself and you'll get back on your feet." However, I will say that those words are pretty common ... but not what Job wants to hear I'm guessing. Bildad's words also speak of the blind faithfulness that I believe trips many people up. God does "fill our mouth with laughter and your lips with shouts of joy"; however, God also allows calamity to come to the just and the unjust. God is NOT some giver of only good to the good people and evil only to the evil people. It's not that easy. Bildad's approach to God is more mechanical than reality.

Job's response is beautiful. He clearly understands the depth of God's sovereignty. Who can argue with God? "IF it is a matter of strength, he is mighty! And if it is a matter of justice, who will summon him?" Job clearly understands the role of man in God's world.

"If I say, 'I will forget my complaint, I will change my expression, and smile,' I still dread my sufferings." I believe this is what many of us try to do ... forget our pain and put on a smile. But eventually we break. Job understands that there is no sense in covering up our expression. There is no value in hiding our feelings (especially toward God himself).

No comments: