Friday's Reading: Matthew 22
Reading this story of the wedding feast just doesn't make sense. Who would ignore such an invitation? Who would treat the messengers this way? But isn't that what we do with God's message every day? Aren't we good at ignoring God ourselves? Now I must admit this ending is very troubling ... if "everyone was now welcomed and brought in right off the street, why is one man singled out and thrown back out as one not "chosen"? I guess it means that even though everyone was "invited" to the feast, there were still "requirements" to get in. I hope this doesn't mean we have to dress a particular way at church ... I'm in big trouble! (right Mom? -haha)
We all have received the invitation to banquet with God. We are all made worthy by his grace alone. However, we should never treat that invitation causually - nor disregard the call on our lives to live for Him. Grace is free (thanks be to Jesus) but our salvation must be worked out through obedience, acts of love, and faith in His calling.
I love how this chapter ends. After countless attempts to get Jesus to trip up and say something wrong or even blasphimas, verse 46 says, "No one could answer him. And after that, no one dared ask him any more questions." CHECK MATE!
Tuesday, May 8, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment