Monday, May 28, 2007

Friday's Reading: Romans 9



With the holiday weekend, I've fallen a couple of readings short. I'm catching up tonight. This chapter is a little unsettling for me. I've struggled with understanding how God can choose some for good (which implies that he chooses other for bad). I see it all over scripture ... Judas is a key example, Esau another, and so on. I guess I can see it in our world ... I'm a product of living in a "christian" (I hate that word still) society ... and their are plenty of 35 year old Muslims who are products of their particular religious society (of which I would consider "lost" to the true faith that leads to salvation). What does this all mean?

Our philosophers reason that this means that EVERYONE is right ... instead of deducing that one person or group is right. This leads us to the theology that there are many paths to God (christian, muslim, budhists, jewish, etc). Eventually, they will lead us all to the same God.

I think God's Word leads us to a different conclusion. Esau and Jacob come from the same family - but they begin movements that are going two different directions.

No comments: