Thursday's Reading: Matthew 21
Jesus tells two of his disciples to go and find a donkey for him to ride into Jerusalem on. "If anyone asks what you are doing, just say 'The Lord needs them,' and he will immediately send them." One commentary I read recently on this stated that Jesus must have had a pre-established agreement with the colt's owner for this to happen. I want to disagree with that ... I believe it's more likely that the colt's owner was a God-fearing man who understood the scriptures that say "Look, your King is coming to you. He is humble, riding on a donkey - even on a donkey's colt." So when the disciples said, "The Lord needs it," I want to believe that this owner knew what was going on because he knew the scriptures and could discern for himself what was happening.
Here's my question: Have I been investigating the scriptures so that when the Lord asks something from me, I'll be ready to offer it to him? Our logic tells us that this man (the colt's owner) must have met Jesus before and knew about this need -- but our faith tells us that the truth about this event was revealed to him through the scriptures - from the prophets!
What can we offer him today? Better yet, what is he asking from us today?
Tuesday, May 8, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment