Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Tuesday's Reading: Romans 6

Our earthly bodies are so messed up. I'm reading this chapter thinking, "this is so simple - stop sinning - make right decisions - follow God everyday." But unfortunately for me, it doesn't work that way all the time. I try. But sometimes I fail. I try to measure up the words "you are no longer a slave to sin" by looking at my life. Have you ever noticed that we humans like to consider "sin" equal to "fun". I think when we hear you can't sin anymore - we really hear "you can't have fun anymore". That's far, far from the truth. Consider these words ... "you are free by God's grace."

I read today Greg Laurie's devotional on this idea that the church is trying to free itself from doctrine and "just love Jesus." Greg's point is that would be dangerous ground - I agree. Here's why: yes we are free from the law but we need elements of the law to keep us from wandering back into sin. Paul clearly says, we can no longer continue sinning! We must obey our new master - Jesus Christ!

"Now you do those things that lead to holiness and result in eternal life. For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Christ Jesus our Lord."

No comments: